John C. Nipp
John Nipp handles litigation matters relating to intellectual property. Such matters include patents, trademarks, copyrights, unfair trade practices, trade secrets, and non-compete agreements. He is a registered patent attorney.
Mr. Nipp has been litigating cases in North Carolina since 1996. His career began as a state prosecutor, where he tried hundreds of bench trials and several jury trials.
Prior to joining Summa, Additon & Ashe, P.A., he was a partner with a Charlotte law firm handling a variety of civil litigation matters.
He has taken several cases to a jury verdict. In addition, he has experience drafting contracts and other legal documents for technology companies. He has also participated in numerous mediations and arbitrations.
Listed below are a few examples of matters he has handled:
- Represented a major corporation in a trademark infringement and cyberpiracy (cybersquatting) lawsuit
- Defended online business against patent infringement action and obtained a favorable settlement
- Defended local business against claim of unauthorized interception of satellite broadcast signal and obtained dismissal of all claims by the federal court
- Brought federal trademark infringement lawsuit on behalf of local business owner resulting in favorable settlement
- Represented employers and employees involved in disputes over covenants not to compete (noncompete agreements)
- Litigated contractual disputes involving information technology consultants
- Defended a leading faucet manufacturer in a products liability lawsuit
- Litigated cases involving the Uniform Commercial Code and financial regulations
- Represented professionals before the North Carolina Medical Board, North Carolina Board of Nursing, and North Carolina Private Protective Services Board
- Assisted corporations with seeking civil remedies for embezzled funds
Mr. Nipp has lectured at Continuing Legal Education seminars about patents, trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights and the Rules of Civil Procedure, and was the featured speaker at a law enforcement seminar.
1996, North Carolina
2008, United States Patent & Trademark Office
State and Federal District Courts (North Carolina)
University of North Carolina School of Law (J.D. with honors, 1996)
University of North Carolina at Charlotte (M.S. Computer Science, 2007)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.A. Economics/Political Science, 1993)
North Carolina Bar Association, Technology Advisory Committee
American Intellectual Property Law Association
International Trademark Association (INTA)
William H. Bobbitt Inn of Court, President 2004-06
Mecklenburg County Bar, Treasurer 2011-12 Term
Mecklenburg County Bar, Board of Directors, 2009-11
Mecklenburg County Bar, Young Lawyers Section, President 2005-06
Mecklenburg County Bar Law Day Committee, Co-chair 2006-08
Mecklenburg County Bar Sports/Social Committee, Co-chair 2008-10
Bar Leadership Institute, Graduate 2003, Planning Committee 2004
Mecklenburg County Bar Civil Litigation Section, Member
North Carolina Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Section, Member
North Carolina Bar Association Litigation Section, Member